Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Of Books

I recently picked up my library card at the public library here in town, and have set about reading as many books as I can. I haven't really read in quite some time, so it was quite refreshing. The third book I picked up, and the main reason I got the library card, actually, was Foundling by D.M. Cornish, and is the most engaging book I've read in some time. It was recommended by a friend, who spoke very highly of it and its sequel, which I plan on picking up tomorrow.

The book takes place in a steampunk-ish fantasy setting, filled with alchemists, monsters, and ship engines powered by muscle tissue. The author presents the world to us in a way that makes the connection to this world easy to grasp, and provides fantastic character illustrations to go along (he studied illustration in college), as well as a lengthy glossary. I highly recommend picking it up from the local library, at least.

Any other recommendations anyone can offer?

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Song of Ice and Fire, but it's not finished either.

teahouse said...

Oooh, looks interesting! I'll be sure to add it to my list of books to read (of which there are several dozen, since I have so little time these days...)

Veela Chanel said...

I still recommend Sword of Truth :P

Otherwise, Angels and Demons if you haven't read that one.

Unknown said...

The author China Mieville is doing some interesting work in speculative fiction. Very pretty writing style. I unfortunately did not really enjoy the first book of his that I picked up, but the writing itself was so good that I'll try another one.