Sunday, June 19, 2005

Emotions and Batman

I've been particularly emotionally sensitive lately, and I don't know why. I've always been pretty emotional - I admit, I cry at those parts of movies - but lately it hasn't been taking much. And it's not even neccessarily that I will cry, it's mor of an all-around empathy. Hey, maybe I'm part Betazoid.

Naming-wise, the Betazoids really got the shaft. Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, Ferengi, Borg... the writers couldn't come up with something better than [planet name] + oid? Come on.

Anyway...

Batman Begins rocks. Went to see it on opening day, and loved it. It's everything I hoped it would be, though it does have some corny moments. Nothing, thankfully, like the cornfest that was Batman & Robin. For those interested in seeing it, but wary because of the last films:

It's loosely based on the Batman: Year One comic book storyline.
It's NOT directed by Joel Schumacher, the guy who did the last two.
It's DARK.
It stars both Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman.
And they already have 2 more screenplays written, so if this one does well, we can see MORE well done Dark Knight movies!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I gotta see it!

Anonymous said...

hey now you left out Liam Niessan in that list of names.

Nathan said...

I will admit, I have been thoroughly unimpressed with Liam Neeson in every other movie I've seen him in, but he utterly rocked in this movie.

Cade said...

This was my LOTR!!! This is what I have wanted for as long as I knew about batman which was 3.

I have seen it twice and it just gets better and better.

Cade said...

and how about Mister Gary Oldman...fabulous as Gordon. All I can hope is the movie 2 is the joker with harvey dent being introduced as DA. This would help show the bond Dent, Gordon, and Batman formed. This bond helps understand how difficult it is for batman to deal with two-face. It was a friend, a compatriot, and more.

Also two-face being the villian in the third film is good. Many batman afficionados feel two-face is a mirror of bruce/batman.

Cade said...

god...I am rambling

Nathan said...

Actually, I don't think they'll use villains that have been used previously. They'll probably shy away from it, though that leaves out the really famous ones, of course.

Cade said...

actually those are the two christopher nolan has mentioned he would like to do...Its a whole new ballgame so they won't shy away.

Anonymous said...

[Planet]+zoid > [planet]+s, don't ya think?

Nathan said...

Actually, only Vulcan(s) uses that. The Klingon homeworld is called Qono'S. The Romulan is Romulus, and the Ferengi is Ferenginar. I really like the [planet]+ i formations, like Centauri. Though their homworld is Centauri Prime... and who calls their planet something like that anyway? :-)

Anonymous said...

well im sure its just the english translating butchering the language, a better translation might be "our planet called centauri is better than anyone elses"