Monday, June 06, 2005

Picton Castle

During the summer of 1999 I sailed on board the HMS Bounty as a volunteer crew member. It was an obsolutely fantastic time - I've considered doing it again. In fact, the Bounty next year is planning to sail up the Mississippi River. How cool would THAT be, eh?

Then I remembered another ship we ran into once at Tallships 2000 - the Picton Castle. She was a huge ship, and well crewed. And she was SAILING AROUND THE WORLD.

Now, that would be MUCH cooler. So I looked her up. Thankfully, the Bounty website, which I knew, had a link to her. Unlike the Bounty, which just wants bodies to do work, the Castle charges money to be a trainee. Like, $11,000 per leg, or $36,000 for the whole trip. Now, each leg is a good 3 months long, and the whole trip is over a year... but still. That's more than I make in a YEAR.

Ah, well. Mississippi River sounds good to me.

5 comments:

Cade said...

NO NOT THE WATER!!! nah you'll love it if you do it. And have you been by my actual blog not my blogger blog. I mean I'd like some new visitors at my new house. So come on over.

crap this was a comment and suddenly now its an advertisement..GAH!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds really cool, I remember Corey talking about you doing that.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I want to have an "obsolutely" fantastic time too! *poke*
~Andy

teahouse said...

You should find a way to make THEM pay YOU for the privilege of having you on their boat! :o)

Nathan said...

WOW! I hadn't thought about that picture in AGES. Wish I knew what had happened to it.