Friday, September 24, 2004

Houston

So, we're in Houston now. Tuesday I was at the karate school, lightly taking a nap before class, when my dad called to tell me that his brother had died. I started calling students immediately and cancelling class, making preparations to head down here. Made sure I had relief at work, talked to my manager about picking up my check early, that sort of thing. And then I realized I was without anything to do, but thankfully one of my roommates suggested playing some Unreal Tournament 2004, so I did that mindlessly for a while.

Kenny was pretty bad off in the end. He was awake, nad had been for several days, which I hadn't known until Tuesday. He had really bad circulation, and his hands and feet were black from lack of blood. He would have needed them amputated even if he survived, as well as constant dialysis and 24-hour assistance. They took the respirator tube out about 3:30 Tuesday afternoon. He was dead within an hour. My mom said you could watch his heart rate slow on the monitor in the room. I'm glad I wasn't there.

My grandmother is taking it pretty hard at times. We watched home video footage she had taken of my wedding, and immediately following it was footage of my uncle opening presents. She started crying, and my dad started crying. I've rarely, if ever at all, seen my father cry.

Later on, she was showing us various photographs of her grandkids at various stages of growth, and she found some pictures of Kenny and her youngest son, Matt. She again broke down. What must it be like to outlive two of your children? She's started harping on my dad to quit smoking, so she doesn't have to bury him, too.

Of course my dad is fond of telling a story about this 90-year old musician who was told smoking would kill him. The musician replied, "You mean I'm gonna die? Do you smoke?" The questioner, I think my dad said it was Ed Sullivan, responded, proudly, that he did not. The musician responded, with a big smile, "Well, you gonna die, too."

So the memorial service is tonight, at 7. He's being cremated, and there will be no viewing of the remains, just a small service. The family would like no flowers sent, to instead make a small donation to charity, or just donate blood. I will probably do the latter, here at the hospital he was in.

Miss you uncle Kenny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my Uncles just passed away last week. I wasnt very close with him either, and like all of my uncles and my father, he had pretty much wasted his life on drugs and alchohol. So i cant say as I'm very sad, but i do feel bad for the rest of his brothers, they have in the last few years lost their parents, and now Simbo. I'll say a prayer for your family Nathan, though its late.

corey