Monday, February 21, 2005

Connection reset by peer


I've felt somewhat disconnected recently. It's hard to describe. Life just seems to be passing me by.




Went to Hackberry with Bridget's family, and had a blast. Stayed up until 7am playing poker. Bridget's family is a ton of fun. I wish we could spend more time with them.




We picked up Adam in Lafayette, after Bridget's cousin picked him up in New Orleans. We ate at Bennigan's, where my sister works - the food was great. My sister was having a rough night - she was in tears when we arrived, having been stiffed a tip on two tickets totalling about $150. So we cheered her up and left her with a nice hefty tip. I felt good, but also sad for my sister, working 2 jobs with three kids. I miss her sometimes.




Speaking of family, my brother pierced his lip with a nail. When asked why, he responded, "Because I couldn't find a pin." Well, I suppose you can't argue with that. I just wish he would smarten up and go back to school. Zack has taken the whole "teenage rebellion" thing way further than I expected.




The school is... well... the school. Student population is steady. Trent is back, and he's as limber and fast as ever. A bit rusty, maybe, but we'll whip him back in to shape. We've got the big Jackson throwdown coming up, so I'm trying to get students to come with me and experience some pain and learn a few things.




I need to run to class. ~poof~




(Wow, IRC. The title is a disconnection error common to dial-up users, especially ones who don't turn off call waiting. I used to ~poof~ when leaving IRC... I use it pretty frequently in IMs now, also... ahh... the good old days.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew a kid in high school that pierced his nipples with safety pins. Then he showed them off to everyone he could, playing with them all the time. He was a bit of a wierdo.

Bridget said...

I think that my version of that feeling is an in between sort of place. There's always something that's gonna change the way my life works, but all I can do right now about it is sit tight and wait. I hate it. In a way, I'm kinda glad school is periodically kicking me in the head this semester, it gives me something constructive to worry about while I wait. But realistically there's only a bit over 2 months before I graduate, and that will change a lot for both of us if I can get my act together.

I love your family too. I wish we could do something fun with your siblings. I still want to bring your brother to a LAN party. Time sucks, there's always too much and never enough.

Taphu said...

Regarding "in between"...

We have been sucked into a time vortex. I
know that when I get that feeling (which I'm sharing now btw), it means I better stop, pull back, wait, and PAY ATTENTION to what is actually happening, because something big is lurking.

It's like those Jungle-Nam movies like Platoon or Preditor, where the guy is running through the jungle, gun in hand, then realizes there's no one around... the stupid ones keep running, and get hit with an alian lazer-beam in the back.. or run smack into said alian, getting their head chopped off and sent sailing into the now silent jungle, where only the jungle birds can be heard rustling from the disturbance, which they are apparantly used to because this sort of thing happens all the time in the jungle.

The smart ones stop and focus... and then step on their buddie's newly severed head, freak out, and run screaming into the jungle only to meet a similar fate, much to the annoiance of the jungle birds.

Our hero, on the other hand, plays it cool, he doesn't freak out because of some silly little severed head, he keeps his focus on the jungle... he listens to the nothing-going-on-ness and it tells him where the badguy is and what to do.

Also, the Arnie analogy isn't 100%, sometimes the lurking change will pass you by if you are not zen or you get distracted by some problem (or by a severed head), other times change that you don't want will hit you smack in the face (and sever it) when it could have been easily avoided.

Anyway, the point is, embrace the void, it is your friend, listen to what it's saying and it will show you what you need to know. You can't fight it and expect to achieve "inner peace". That just don't make no sense, yo.