Friday, May 20, 2005

Crash photos

So, back to the crash...

So we've stopped moving, there was a crashing of glass, and then nothing, just the light sound of the engine roaring above us. I dreaded to look, but had to know whether or not I had killed Adam. My head snapped right at the same time his snapped left and we both said "Are you all right? Yeah!"

I started reaching for my cellphone and realized, you know, maybe we should get OUT of the upside down van first. I reached for my seatbelt, realized I had broken glass everywhere below me, and tried to situate myself so I wouldn't fall on my face. At this point I realize the airbags never went off, and say so. In fact, I couldn't STOP saying what was coming into my head. I babbled about hoping my seatbelt would come undone, babbled about hoping the door would open... you get the point.

I did manage to get the door open, though it took some pushing, and I hear Adam behind me say "I'm following you!" I stepped out, a few feet below the edge of the road to an incredulous Andy. "Are you guys all right?" Behind me Adam is struggling to get through the small space we could open the door. "Yeah, yeah, shut up," he says. It takes Adam a few seconds, but we get out and practically run up onto the road. We stand there for a few more seconds, staring at the remains of my first car, before all we can do is start laughing. Adam and I hug, and I realize I should probably turn off the car. I run down, turn it off, and struggle for a minute trying to take out the keys before finally giving up.

It starts to rain at about this time, and I call Bridget and tell her I wrecked the van. Andy gives his wife directions to where we are, and they come down. I call 911, and Andy gives more directions and they send the Highway Patrol.

Andy at some point is telling us about watching our headlights disappear, and makes the comment, "You guys don't know how scared I was." Adam and I, in unison, tell him "Yes, we do!" A group hug ensues. It's about this point we notice the ring on Adam's face, and the bloody lips he gave himself protecting his face from glass.

Nothing much else eventful happened; the cop didn't even get out of his car, just told me he wouldn't file a report because then he'd have to file a charge, and all that would do is raise my insurance. The wrecker was impressed by the wreck, and then we drove home.

And, as promised, pictures; click the picture for larger versions:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you guys are so lucky, and I'm very glad to still have you both. Also, get a haircut you hippy.

Anonymous said...

Hey dude...whats up with not showing the picture of me holding the Dr. Pepper can up close to the mark it gave me? Heh heh...peace out,

Sir Evenbreeze

Anonymous said...

"Andy's wife"? I don't even get a name? Bah!
-Andy's wife

Anonymous said...

Andy's wife"?
Well, that's how I think of you

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want to see pictures of the green notvan as well. Also, I'd like to see the Pic of the Dr Pepper(no period) can.

teahouse said...

Omigosh, I'm so glad you guys are ok...

Bridget said...

Okay, we can include the guardrail in the famiy if you want to, I'm rather fond of it myself. But do you really think it's worth breaking up our marriage over?

Anonymous said...

This is a delayed comment because I just heard about the incident, but Oh My Gosh! I'm so glad you're all ok!! Now that I've seen that gully, I think I might marry the guardrail!
-Elisa