Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Interview

So, the day of my interview it decides to rain like God is flooding the earth again. Driving through Many, I can barely see the truck in front of me - and we're stopped at a red light. I kept having mini-flashbacks of flipping the van.

Despite my misgivings, I did make it to the resort fine, and by this time it's stopped raining. I showed up 30 minutes early, not knowing how much the rain would slow me down, so I sat in the car and listened to the radio, then called Bridget, and finally headed inside. After a few minutes, a desk clerk went to tell the lady I was meeting that I was there, and then the interview started.

It wasn't really an interview, even. She gave me a rundown of the history of the place, who owned what, we talked a little bit about my experience at the Holiday Inn, and then she went to get the General Manager. The man is large, and his hands are HUGE. And by so big, I mean... hmm... meaty. He doesn't even try to close his hand around yours, cause there's just too much of HIS hand.

Anyway, the GM talked as if I already had the job, we briefly discussed a pay range, and then he gave me a tour of the place, which is gorgeous. Pricey, but gorgeous.

They wanted to hire me right then, but the job they were hiring me for didn't exist yet - they needed authorization from the corporate office to create it, which might take a few days. So They handed me some paperwork to fill out, and said they'd be in touch.

I come back for lunch with Bridget, we discuss pay stuff, and I head back up there to turn in the paperwork, ready to ask for the very top of that pay range. I walk in, and the lady says, "Hey! We got you approved!" Wow. So what could have taken a few days instead took a couple of hours, cool. Now to talk money. She leads me into the GMs office, and he says, "We got you the top of that pay range." I was speechless - I hadn't even had to say word one about it.

I think the thing that excites me the most about this job is that hiring me excites THEM. They are ecstatic about me starting work there. The people I've met seem fantastic.

I'm very much looking forward to working there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats dude! Get me a discount massage!

Anonymous said...

Wow Nathan, that's such great news :) It's always encouraging to begin working in a place where you think you'll be valued.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! We always knew you were worth more! Yeah!

Cade said...

FAN"FREAKIN"TASTIC!!!

way to go. Its nice seeing that happen to good people. So, I have to ask...how much are you making?

Anonymous said...

Wow that makes me really happy for you Nathan, and if it means anything, I think they are very very lucky to have gotten you.