Thursday, November 18, 2004

Of forests and credit cards


Here I am, 4:30, just running the audit, because whoever worked this morning couldn't do their job correctly. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in their heads when their screwing some of these things up.




"Oh, I posted too much to VISA. I know! I'll post a negative amount to CASH, thjat will give me a zero balance on that room. All done!"




Theoretically, the next part should be: "Oh, my VISA totals in the credit card machine don't match the totals in the computer. Let me think about what I may have done wrong." Instead, if they even compared those totals, this happens: "Oh, the totals are off. The night auditor will fix it."




YOU BROKE IT! I have no idea what went on this morning, or whose rooms you may have screwed up. I have to print at least 3 reports and compare transactions one by one, matching amounts with room numbers (and sometimes people have changed rooms, so those might not even match), and now here I am, an hour and a half late, starting the actual audit process.




In better news, kind of, I've been informed of a job opening at the US Forest Service station near here. The job is on the fire line, running controlled fires, doing forest cleanup, that sort of thing. It pays nearly twice what I'm making now, plus benefits. It's a full time job, plus overtime.




Sounds great. It's a pretty standard day job, though... it will prevent me from taking regular classes as long as I have it. I'd be restricted to internet and night courses. And that's the dilemma... kind of. I've been taking small course loads recently anyway... and it is a LOT more money. Hmmm.

No comments: