Thursday, December 16, 2004

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow


Officially one of my favorite movies of the year. In the running for most favorite, even.




This movie captured the feeling of the 40s and 50s hero serials, comics, and cartoons so WELL. I felt like I was watching the old Fleischer Superman cartoons I had as a child. In fact, this movie is remarkably similar to one episode called "The Mechanical Men" (no, I didn't remember that - I looked up who made the cartoons, and a list of the episodes, and the titles reminded me of the episodes).




The movie knew when to be funny, it knew when to have a heroic moment, and it combined them both very well. Of course, being a sci-fi fan, I loved the retro era "futuristic" feel the whole movie had. There's a short story... I wish I could remember the title... about a man who can see what the present time would be like if the future imagined by the sci-fi writers of the 50s were true - we all know the pictures of "The Family of the Future" and their flying cars, and the curved glass buildings - that's kind of how this movie felt, at points.




Angelina Jolie - why did she have that role? She had like 5 lines, and maybe the same amount of screen time. The other actors did well, I felt... but I think they wasted the money on Jolie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristin: Corey just downloaded that movie, so we'll have to watch it soon. :)

Cade said...

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!
it just made me feel all good inside. Joe really comes off as one of those iconic heroes. He is bigger than life. Yeah that movie rocked. I have scene the "Mechanical Men" episode of Fleischer's Superman. Yes it is very reminiscent in the design of the robot.

Anonymous said...

crap, i dowloaded it, but its all herky jerky....

corey

Anonymous said...

I like the new layout! :)

Maybe Chris and I will rent Sky Captain.

=)

Miss ya!

Kelley